Pages

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Long Runs

I figured I was in fairly good shape when I started my half marathon training.  And I think I was kind of right.  I can run 3 miles, no problem.  Four?  Doable, but I'm breathing pretty hard by the end of it.  Five?  Haven't quite made it there yet.

The biggest problem right now?  The heat wave!  It's already approaching 90 degrees before 8 am, and the humidity is insane.  You remember that expression, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity!"  Well, I'm pretty sure that was written about Chicago.  Even though it's rare that the actual temperature will be in the triple digits, the humidity is always like, a million percent.  And that's why running outside in July/August is awful.

So I've been running on the treadmill at the gym.

I hate treadmills.  Always have.

Jules = not so happy.

I would much rather be running outside, but I seriously have no intention of waking up at 4:30 am just so I can run in weather that won't kill me.  And since I hate running on the treadmill, it's been a little harder to make myself run and a little easier to find excuses.  Such as planning my neighbors' going away party.  Or just plain catching up on sleep.

I recently bought a one-piece swimsuit (basically a swim team practice suit), goggles and a swim cap so I can do laps at the gym.  I figure I'll do the 45-minute lunchtime spin class, then rinse off and hit the pool for some laps.

I went on Thursday and swam for 30 mins.  Not bad, considering I'd just done a spin class AND I've never gone to a pool with the intention of swimming laps.  Well, except for one summer on the country club swim team when I was five.  But that doesn't count, it was almost two decades ago.  Yikes.

But I'm looking forward to getting back into the pool and working on my aqua stamina!  I just wish I had someone to sort of coach me on my swimming, you know, observe my form and give me pointers, or straight up work with me to improve my strokes.

If you live around Chicago and want to do that for me, let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment